Chef Jordan Sclare of Chotto Matte loves starting a dinner experience with a simple canapé that looks so impressive, your guests will never know how easy it is to make. This king oyster mushroom and feta tostada recipe puts a vegetarian spin on a traditional pulled pork tostada.
“The key to this dish are the oyster mushrooms, which can taste similar to meat when cooked a certain way,” says chef Sclare. “Plus, the smokiness of the smoked paprika pairs well with many festive holiday drinks.”
• 4 pieces 5-inch corn tostadas
• 300g oyster mushrooms
• 80g Japanese kewpie mayonnaise
• 1g smoked paprika
• 1 pinch sea salt
• 1 lime
• 50g feta cheese
• 2 stems fresh coriander
• 15g smoked chipotle tabasco
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. In the meantime, fry the tostadas in 180°C oil until golden and crisp.
3. Once ready, place onto draining paper and keep at room temperature.
4. Shred the oyster mushrooms into 0.5 cm wide pieces.
5. Crumble the mushrooms onto a roasting tray.
6. Place the crumbled feta onto the mushrooms.
7. Place in the oven for 5 minutes.
8. In a small bowl, mix the Japanese mayonnaise, tabasco, sea salt and smoked paprika.
9. Combine the warm mushrooms and feta together with Japanese mayonnaise sauce and mix.
10. Spoon the mushroom mixture onto the tostaditas.
11. Slice the lime in half and squeeze over the mushroom tostadas.
Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve.