“In the Midlands of South Carolina, the area surrounding the state capital of Columbia, mustard-based BBQ sauces are a staple,” says Cabano’s Comfort Food chef Kevin Boyd of his Carolina hot sauce recipe. “Our version doesn’t stray far from the classic flavour profile found in the Deep South – focused on yellow mustard, honey and roasted chili peppers. Serve with chicken, beef or pork. Works well as a dip, sandwich topping or basting in the last few minutes of grilling.”
- 1.25 ml yellow mustard
- 250 ml honey
- 6 tbsp charred chili pepper puree (use any store-bought hot pepper puree that you like)
- 6 tbsp minced garlic
- 8 tbsp brown sugar
- 250 ml water
- 50 ml apple cider vinegar
- In a small pot combine sugar, vinegar and water and bring to a boil or until sugar is dissolved.
- Using a blender combine mustard, honey, garlic and chili pepper and puree until smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar/vinegar/water mixture until smooth and a velvety consistency is reached.
- Sauce will keep up to a month in the fridge.