Chef Rose has to be one of the most creative restaurateurs in our great city. Owner of Rose and Sons, Big Crow and Fat Pasha, he now has Schmaltz Appetizing, a Jewish deli that puts a modern spin on traditional items. Anthony doesn’t have the word “healthy” or “light” in his vocabulary, but oh, is his food ever finger-licking good! His $45 bagel (yes, that’s right!) has 50 grams of American sturgeon caviar with sliced eggs and cream cheese on a Kiva’s bagel (I went with an everything bagel). You’re downing around 40 per cent of your daily calories, 50 per cent of your fat and 80 per cent of your sodium. With this price tag, I’m certain you won’t be indulging too often!
Everything bagel with caviar and sliced eggs
- Serving size: 1 bagel (298.9 g)
- Calories 741
- Total Fat 29.6 g (46%)
- Sodium 1871 mg (78%)
- Carbohydrates 79.5 g (27%)
- Protein 38.9 g
ROSE’S HEALTHY TAKE:
Waffle sandwich with smoked salmon
For an at-home option, try my waffle sandwich with smoked salmon, avocado and cheese.
Serves 2 • Prep time 15 min • Cooking time 6 to 8 min
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup lower fat milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 thin slices tomato
- 8 thin slices cucumber
- 2 oz smoked salmon
- 1⁄4 cup avocado, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 oz crumbled goat cheese or light cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp capers (optional)
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. In another bowl combine milk, oil and egg. Add to flour mixture just until blended.
3. Preheat a 4” waffle iron and lightly coat with cooking spray. Spoon one half cup of the batter over the pan, covering it completely. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat with remaining batter. Makes 4 waffles.
4. Divide lettuce leaves, tomato, cucumber, salmon, avocado and red onion over top of two of the waffles. Combine the goat cheese, mayonnaise and capers if using. Divide goat cheese mixture over top salmon and vegetable filling. Top each with the two remaining waffles to make two sandwiches.
Nutritional analysis (per sandwich): Calories 510, Protein 22 g, Carbohydrates 64 g, Fibre 3 g, Total fat 18 g, Saturated fat 5 g, Cholesterol 130 mg, Sodium 870 mg