This sweet and spicy take on a classic eggnog recipe is perfect for cozy nights in. The sweetness of the caramel complements the dark chocolate, while the spiced rum adds a subtle, warm flavour.
Since eggs are the star of this dish, chef Lynn Crawford swears by using local, farm-fresh Canadian eggs. “Eggs are a staple in my kitchen during the holidays. They’re versatile and included in many of my favourite recipes like this one,” she says.
•2 cups (500 mL) whole milk
•½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
•¼ tsp (1.25 mL) ground nutmeg
•1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
•6 large egg yolks
•½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
•1 cup (250 mL) dark chocolate chips
•1 cup (250 mL) heavy cream
•½ cup (125 mL) spiced rum (optional)
•¼ cup (60 mL) caramel sauce, store-bought or see recipe below
•Whipped cream for serving
•½ cup (125 mL) butter
•½ cup (125 mL) heavy cream
•½ cup (125 mL) dark brown sugar
•1 tbsp (15 mL) fancy molasses
•1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Slowly bring the mixture to a low boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until the yolks are pale in colour.
3. Slowly add in the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks in batches to temper the eggs and whisk until combined.
4. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until slightly thick (and coats the back of a spoon) but does not boil. If you’re using a candy thermometer, the mixture should reach 160°F.
5. Add chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
6. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream and spiced rum.
7. Refrigerate until chilled.
CARAMEL SAUCE STEPS
1. In a heavy bottom saucepan, whisk together the butter, cream, brown sugar and molasses on medium-high heat.
2. Let the mixture come to a boil and let it bubble for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
When ready to serve, coat the inside of a mug with caramel sauce. Add eggnog to the mug and garnish it with whipped cream and cinnamon.