Growing up in Sicily, Oretta chef Gabriele Di Marco fondly recalls trips to the local pastry shop during the holiday season to enjoy two things: maritozzi and a cappuccino. Bring the Italian bakery home with this recipe for maritozzi, a sweet milk brioche bun filled with vanilla whipped cream.
• 100 mL milk, warm
• 1 1⁄4 tsp (4g) fresh yeast
• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
• 35 mL (30g) sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 bsp honey
• zest of two lemons
• 1 tsp (2g) salt
• 31 mL (30g) butter, softened
VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM
• 500 mL 35% cream
• 2 tbsp icing sugar
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
METHOD: VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM
1) Put all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
2) Refrigerate until ready to use.
1) Dissolve the yeast in warm milk and set aside.
2) Put the flour, sugar, eggs, honey and lemon zest in a medium bowl and combine with a stand mixer.
3) Add in the milk and yeast mixture and mix for 5 minutes.
4) Add in the salt and butter and continue mixing until the butter is incorporated.
5) Let the dough proof in a covered bowl for 2 hours.
6) After the dough rests, cut dough into 90g pieces to create an oval shape.
7) Lay the oval pieces on a parchment-lined tray and cover with plastic wrap. Let them rest until they double in size.
8) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9) Brush the egg wash onto the pieces and bake for 8 minutes until golden.
10) Remove from oven and let cool completely.
11) Cut maritozzi ¾ of the way down in the middle and fill with fresh vanilla whipped cream.
Sprinkle with icing sugar.